Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Valentines Day from 1st Area



February 13 2012

How is everyone doing?! hope everyone has an amazing valentine’s day tomorrow! Just wanted to let you all know how much i love all of you!

Congratulations to Kyle! Going to Louisville Kentucky! That's so cool. He'll be great

  
Mom and dad told me that little Carson’s baptism is coming up this week too. That’s awesome! He should be so excited. It's such a big day for him. Congratulations buddy!

Well to catch you up with me a little bit. My first area is stockport. It's a huge town/city on the outside of manchester. It's kind of in an older area...I think. haha. I really couldn’t tell. Everything here is so old! It’s much different over here! I’ve definitely had a bit of culture shock. It’s safe to say that America is definitely the place to be. USA!


I probably should've gone to the Provo mtc for some language training. It’s a foreign language! There are so many different accents and dialects it's not even funny. i sat through all of sacrament meeting yesterday and I didn’t understand a word! haha. The language is so weird. People from the town of Liverpool have one of the worst accents. they sound like they're literally choking on every word. ahha. It’s been a challenge so far. i can honestly say that I have zero desire to come home with an accent. My goal is to get them to talk like me! the people here are convinced that they speak English and we speak American. haha still a bit of a rivalry going on I think. ahah

We’ve been doing a lot of bus riding. That’s our main transportation. I had to dish out some serious money for a monthly bus pass too. We do most of our contacting on busses too. I’m still not very good at it. It’s extremely awkward to be constantly moving up and down the aisle and changing seats when you get rejected. ahha most of the people you go to already over heard what you were saying to someone else. it's something I defiantly need to get better at. Finding people to teach is probably my biggest obstacle. It’s tough to just walk up to people and to start talking to them about the gospel. I just need some more practice

We’ve had a few good teaching appointments so far. One night after we got done having dinner at a member’s house we knocked on a few random doors just hoping to get lucky.

We knocked on a man named Gerald's front door. He let us right in! First thing i noticed was how many books he had. Piles and piles. He had to move stacks of books off of the couch to find a place for us to sit. We ended up teaching the whole restoration lesson to him. The most powerful part was the joseph smith story. We asked him if he believed that Joseph smith was a prophet of god. He said yeas without hesitation .and....... He committed to be baptized! We set a date for march 10th so we'll see how that goes. We still have quite a ways to go but i know he can do it.

We walked to his house again Sunday morning to pick him up for church. Unfortunately our ride fell through. We had to walk all the way to church. And it's not like Utah where there's a church on every corner. I’m talking about walking for an hour! (Joys of being a missionary) haha. I almost died.

He really seemed to enjoy church though. He was a pretty hardcore catholic so everything was a little different for him though. He only could attend sacrament though because he was going to his brother’s house for dinner. But...an even more amazing thing happened on Sunday.

About a week and a half ago elder Corbin talked to a young African kid on the bus. i guess he was completely drunk. Elder Corbin invited him to come to church and got his contact information. He said his name was Ryan. Elder Corbin knew he wasn't going to come to church and he didn't. But he went yesterday we were so shocked! he stayed for all three hours too. He actually knows a guy in the word and so he sat with him during classes. Afterwards we talked to him for a bit. He asked for a book of Mormon. He was so excited. He told us that his name was actually Herman. He said that he lied to elder Corbin because he had no intention of coming to church. He said that on Saturday the Holy Ghost told him he needed to come to church... I couldn’t believe it. ahah. He’s a really good person and I’m excited to start teaching him.

That's pretty much all that's been going on with me. I’m just trying to get used to it our here. I’m trying to put one foot in front of the other and take it one day at a time. i love you all very much and I want to hear from you! The best way is to probably send everything to the mission office.

Correction on my current address though. It’s actually Romany court. Not Romney court. I don’t know if it really matters but though i should just throw it out there. Love you all very much and I can't wait for the day I get to see you all again but until then I’ll pray for you every night. God be with you till we meet again.

Love Elder Ford
 

No comments:

Post a Comment