Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hey everyone,

It's a new transfer and a new adventure! I'm on to area number five. I'm now in St. Helens which is part of the Liverpool stake. I'm really excited to be here and I'm looking forward to the new challenges. I'm serving with Elder Peterson from Eureka, Montana. We are officially the missions tallest companionship. He is 6'5 and plays basketball as well. We're going to walk the streets and challenge people to two on tow games and If the lose we baptize them. haha.

It's been an interesting week. I actually haven't been in Blackburn for about 6 days. I got a call from the assistants on Thursday telling me to pack my bag for five days and that they would be to pick me up later that afternoon. I had no idea what was going on. what happened was one of my Zone leaders in Chorley was called as the next assistant. His companion didn't have his driving license so your truly got to go there and drive for 5 days. It was pretty fun. We had a few close calls on the road. English roads are a lot narrower and a lot faster. We survived though. Chorley is probably the closest thing you can get to home as far as the church is concerned. It is the area where the Preston Temple and M.T.C is located and it has 4 strong wards. We spent a lot of time with the members during those days and it was a completely different experience from the rest of my areas. I wouldn't mind going back.

We went back to Blackburn so I could pack a say goodbye to people too. It took me forever to pack. I've picked up so much stuff! I got another suitcase so now i have three that are completely full! Moving is a pain. Not to mention the wheels on my biggest one are completely shredded. That happened when I was leaving Preston. It's a good workout dragging it on the ground though. If I moved more often it would probably keep me from getting fat. haha. I talked to Elder White at the transfer meeting and he said that I need to get on " The Program" as he calls it. It's basically just eating healthy and a lot of sit ups. haha. We'll see what happens. I'll probalby just end up falling asleep on the floor. but anyways, back to Blackburn. I didn't get to say goodbye to Steve and Naomi. We were going to go there but they had a family emergency. I figure i'll get to see them sometime soon though. I'll definetely be writing them as well. It was hard leaving Elder Reali as well. He is my "first born in the wilderness" as the scriptures say. Blackburn was such a great are. It was really difficult to leave. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to serve there and be a small part of all the miracles that happened. 

I got to go to the temple with the departing missionaries as well. Elder Corbin(my trainer/father) and Elder Herrin (My "godfather") went home today. That's so crazy to me. Exactly one year ago I was walking into that same transfer meeting as a brand new missionary. They were both at the same point that I'm at now. Time goes so quick. The mission won't be the same without them. They were really great example to me. It's weird being in the older half of the mission now. I'm seeing all of these new missionaries that I've never seen before. Makes me feel old. The mission is getting younger and younger. This last group was 18 with 8 sisters. The next group has 34 new missionaries! that's the biggest group the mission has ever had. We're now starting to see the effect of President Monson's announcement last conference. The work is hastening.

I'm really excited for the next six weeks. I can already tell that I'm going to learn a lot. I've set two goals for 2013. They are 1. Faith and 2. Work Ethic. I feel like my ability to work has already improved loads from where it was at home. (I'll admit that I was pretty lazy. haha) It's something I really want to master. I really want to work smart though. I've learned there is a big difference to working hard and working smart. It's crazy to see how much i've been able to use in my mission from sports. One of Coach Briggs favorite lines is "work hard, play smart, and have fun." i've been able to use that everyday. If you don't work hard nothing will happen. If you want to see sucess you have to be smart in the way you work. If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong. Genious. Who would have that my High School basketball coach was teaching doctrine. haha.

Thanks for everything you do for me. I love you all. Here's the new flat address. Post is welcome 

5 Cardigan Close
St. Helens
WA10 3XW
England 

By the way. the mission office address changed a bit. Not sure if I told you. There is a new postal code. here it is.

Elder Skyler Ford
England Manchester Mission
Spring Wood, Suite G5
Chelford Road
Knutsford, Cheshire
WA16 8GS
England

Love Elder Ford

Pictures.
1. Elder Peterson and I
2. The original Stockport crew. Just one year ago we were there!




No comments:

Post a Comment